Derby Connecticut History
Welcome to Lowe's, the largest family business in the Northeast serving Derby, Connecticut. We have everything you need for your next job or construction project, and we serve Derby and the surrounding communities. Visit Paul J or order online or pick it up at Lowe's in Derby CT, which is near DerbyCT. If you can't find the service or obituary you're looking for, think Ansonia, Derby or Seymour or Shelton.
Derby Connecticut Post was born on May 1, 1884 in Derby, Connecticut, the first daily newspaper in the state of Connecticut. Her beloved wife, 38 obituaries, was a dedicated mother, wife, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunt, sister, friend and neighbour. On Sunday, May 14, 2017, she entered a peaceful calm with her husband, children and grandchildren in her arms.
He was born in Derby on the banks of the Housatonic River in 1753, went to Yale at the age of 15 and studied theology for a year. He lived in Orange, CT, for a long time and was the editor-in-chief of the Derby Connecticut Post, the first daily newspaper in Connecticut. Varca worked for Derby CT for 28 years as a reporter, editor and editor-in-chief, as well as editor, publisher and columnist. She was an active member of her community and a lifelong resident of Orange CT and has long been a friend and supporter of Derby and its residents.
She grew up in New Haven and graduated from Union in 2006 and Yale University in 2014. She lived in Derby for a few years before moving to New Hampshire in 2015 and then back to Connecticut to start her own business.
Mascolo DeLallo Louis N. Patricia was born on January 5, 1926, in Derby, New Haven, Connecticut, the daughter of Joseph and Mary Guy. Baldelli was born on February 4, 1925, at Derby Hospital in Derby. He was the son of the late Mildred L. and the granddaughter of John and Margaret Baldlli, both from Derby.
On 1 January 1972, Birmingham Water Company merged with Ansonia Water Company, renamed Ansonia - Derby water Company. Osborne was the first president of Derby Water and Power Company and a member of its board of directors. He led the construction of a hydroelectric dam on the River Falls River in Derby, Connecticut, and other hydroelectric dams were built in the area, such as the Fall River Dam in New Haven and the Great River Dam in Hartford.
The Naugatuck River divides Derby into two main sections, and the Derby Greenway is part of what will become the 44-mile Naugaftuck River Greenways, which will stretch from Derby in the south to Torrington in the north, stretching for 44 miles from the North Haven-Derby border to Derby's south and north-south borders. Derby is divided into two large sections by the Naquatucks River: the River Falls River south of Derby and Derby Lake, the main source of the river.
Derby and Shelton were the last regular stops on Waterbury Branch before it merged into the Northeast Corridor. The Naugaftuck River Greenway connects Derby with the Naugatuck Greenways in Torrington and North Haven, as well as the River Falls River and Derby Lake.
Gravel roads crossed the fields and connected the remote settlers with the town and the harbour of Derby. Ansonia was originally part of the neighbouring city of Derby, but became part of the Derby city when it was incorporated in 1894. The land on which it stood was called "Little Neck" because it formed a neck between the Naugatuck River and the Beaver Brook. In 1851, the district was chartered and the land on which it stands was officially called "Little Neck." Due to political and fiscal developments, Seymour and Annie were separated from Derby in the late 18th century to make way for the construction of a new town, Derby and Shelton, on the other side of the Naugaftuck River.
Agriculture was an important activity in the valley for much of the next century, and it was evident from the wide, fertile floodplains that the Houseatonic planted. One event in this continuum of activities was the settlement of Sheldon Smith and Anson G. Phelps, who called the Derby area "Birmingham" in 1852. Phelps and Smith tried unsuccessfully to turn the existing center, which is located on the east side of the Naugatuck River and is sometimes referred to as Derby Landing, into what is now known as East Derby.
Smith and Phelps' plan was to rescue Derby from the Depression and encourage participation in the Industrial Revolution, a pattern that was followed elsewhere in Connecticut. When the city was trying to attract inhabitants, the river was an ideal location for the development of a new city centre and an industrial centre. Derby would eventually become the centre of the state's first industrial area and a major manufacturing centre.